Friday, June 04, 2010

Summer is Here

It is a quiet moment here at our house on the first day of summer break.  The kids get a "free" day today.  No routine or anything structured today.  Once we get a little break, we will begin a more scheduled summer.  But today we are being lazy.  The boys are playing the wii, riding their bikes and watching cartoons.  Mackenzie is off playing with all the neighborhood girls, and Hailee is trailing behind anyone that will let her. 
I have some goals over the summer.  Since last summer NOTHING got done because I was pregnant the first 1/2 and had a new baby the second 1/2, I want to make sure that I get at least a couple things accomplished this year.
First, I want to teach my children to work.  I am making chore list and each job will detail everything that needs to be done in that job.  These will not be hard jobs, but things that they can do with little help.
Second, I am going to make sure that we keep up on the things that the kids have been working on in school.  Have reading time everyday and some math.  I have made play money and have coins and I think that we are going to play store a few times to practice money.  I also am going to start giving the kids allowance for their jobs (2.00 per week) and help them learn to save and pay their tithing.
And Last, I want to make sure that we do lots of fun things.  We are going to swim (my kids all time fav), make crafts, go to movies and have play time with friends.  May not sound too exciting, but these are the things that keep my kids happy. 
So here is to a GREAT start of SUMMER

2 comments:

Krysta said...

Ahhhh...pregnancy and newborns. I can totally relate! We had a free day today too. The first day of summer has to be an "anything goes" kind of day! I like your idea of playing store. THey will have so much fun. You are teaching them great things. Have an awesome summer!!

meredith said...

you're such a good mom Malinda! i can't wait to see you all in a few weeks.